Troops of Operation Whirl Stroke, a combatant arm of the Nigeria Army has said it has struck armed bandits in Benue and Nasarawa States as part of its aggressive campaign against criminals in the country.
In a statement issued and obtained by CAPITAL POST in Abuja on Monday, Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, said the raid by the military led to the arrest of four bandits and recovery of arms.
The statement said: “In continuation of the aggressive kinetic operations against armed banditry, cattle rustling and other sundry crimes in the North-Central zone, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested 4 armed bandits and recovered arms and ammunition during two daring raids at identified bandits’ camps.
“In one of the operations conducted on 6 September 2020, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE deployed at Guma in Benue State and Keana in Nasarawa State, conducted a dawn raid at identified armed bandits’ camp at Guma forest along the Benue-Nasarawa border following actionable intelligence reports on the location of the camp.
“Adopting an aggressive posture and profile, the gallant troops stormed the location and engaged the bandits in a firefight, overwhelming them with superior fire. In the process, troops neutralized one bandit while others fled with gunshot wounds into the forest. Troops also recovered one AK-47 rifle, one AK-47 rifle magazine, one locally made pistol and 3 mobile phones at the scene while the camp was subsequently destroyed.
“Similarly, troops of Sector 1 deployed at Gagbe in Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State conducted another dawn raid on another suspected armed bandits’ hideout at Tse Agi in the general area.
“The gallant troops stormed the hideout and apprehended 4 suspects at the scene while one AK 47 rifle, 2 AK-47 rifle magazines and 46 rounds of 7.62 mm special ammunition were also recovered at the location. The hideout was subsequently destroyed while the suspects are currently being profiled after which they will be handed over to the appropriate prosecuting agency for further action.
“The Military High Command appreciates the general public for their cooperation in providing credible information which has so far facilitated the successes of the operations.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria assures that these offensives against the common enemies of this Nation will not cease until normalcy is restored to all the troubled zones of the Country.”
I’m so scared, won’t marry again – Angela Okorie
Celebrated actress and singer, Angela Okorie bares her mind on second marriage after the broken one that she does not...
Egyptian model arrested over photo shoot at ancient pyramid
Egyptian model Salma El-Shimy was arrested on Monday over a photo session in Saqqara, a prominent archaeological site in the...
I don’t prostitute for money – Destiny Etiko
Destiny Etiko is famous for her attractive physique but she has said some people misunderstand her because of her physical...
News7 hours ago
Nasarawa State government bans playing of Chistmas songs
Interview10 months ago
Alleged Constituency scandal: How Onoja got involved, misled Bello for four years – Friday Sani
News1 day ago
Nigerian Senator disarmed man with gun who demands N2 million before allowing him to pass
News6 months ago
I am an Almajiri, feel sad the way governors treat them with disdain – Senator Ndume
Economy2 days ago
Dangote cement factory sealed as hoodlums attack Kogi Revenue Staff over N2 billion tax liability
News2 months ago
Nigeria at 60: Ortom backs Sovereign National Conference, says Nigerians must discuss their challenges
News10 months ago
Kogi: Edward Onoja, cousin in Constituency Projects scandal
Interview10 months ago
Over ambitious Onoja’s plan to unseat governor Bello back firing – Friday Sani